[jboss-dev] hibernate 3.3.0 upgrade, slf4j introduction into jbossas

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Tue May 13 05:55:56 EDT 2008

I understand that sooner or later we'll have to incorporate a library using the slf4j
logging facade, so it's just a matter of time.

I quickly wrote an slf4j-to-jboss-logging-spi adapter (slf4j-jboss-logging) so then it won't
matter if hibernate uses slf4j or not, it will simply forward to our jboss-logging-spi.

The only thing we don't support in the spi is slf4j's Logger:
    public void log(Marker marker, String callerFQCN, int level, String msg, Throwable t)

We don't do markers and ignore the callerFQCN. Everything else fits nicely on top of
jboss-logging-spi, including MDC.

Also, I don't see slf4j causing problems with application that want to override it, as long
as they scope their deployments so that slf4j-api can pickup a different slf4j back-end binding.

PS
any reason hibernate used slf4j-api 1.4.2? latest version is 1.5.0)