[jboss-dev] org.jboss:javassist or javassist:javassist

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Tue May 27 08:18:17 EDT 2008

What's it going to be?

Now I have org.hibernate:hibernate-annotations:3.3.1.GA declaring a
dependency on javassist:javassist:3.4.GA and
org.jboss.aop:jboss-aop:2.0.0.CR7 declaring a dependency on
org.jboss:javassist:3.6.0.GA, thus ending me up with (what Debian would
call) an unstable configuration.

Depending on the wind, state of the moon, the weather in general Maven
will put either on first on the class path. Which results in an
unpredictable build.

My preference goes to javassist:javassist, because that reflects the
package name and thus has less chance of name conflict.

maxb of Maven suggests the same:
(01:00:29 PM) wolfc: maxb_: I hope too that the first set of duplicates
match central. As for the second set, it contains a lot of legacy and
changing insights. So I was hoping to find something similar to
'obsoletes' in rpm or 'replaces' in dpkg. Or even a directive which
forbids the use of javassist:javassist in the org.jboss:javassist pom.
(01:01:16 PM) maxb_: Well, I'd suggest going the other way, and using
javassist:javassist, since that's the name that *has* made it into central

On the other hand org.jboss reflects our zone.

So before the week is done I want either artifact on the banned
dependency list (which I'm now introducing in EJB3 build and I'll
suggest to Dimitris to do the same for AS).

Note: I'm putting org.jboss.microcontainer:jboss-container on the ban
right now, because I can almost spell out the getBeanInfo BeanAccess
signature error in my dreams.

Carlo