[jboss-dev] Maven Dependency Resolution Different in 2.0.8 and 2.0.9

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Fri May 30 17:34:20 EDT 2008

Comments inline.

Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> You're mixing two issues here.
>
> 1. Maven *is* opinionated software. Just take a look at a pom and ask
> yourself: how is it going to build that? Maven must come up with
> something and thus it's opinionated. The problem here is that a lot of
> the time I don't agree with what it comes up with.

Maven should come up with something consistent with its own rules.
Maybe I'm missing the definition of "opinionated"; but if 2.0.8 indeed
had a bug, than 2.0.9 would be the fix.

> 2. Deterministic vs non-deterministic behavior. If Maven 2.0.8 really
> uses a HashSet for its dependencies instead of a LinkedHashSet than it
> shows non-deterministic behavior. That's just plain unacceptable and
> supersedes regression.

Hopefully the Maven guys will get back to us with thanks for exposing
this rather than dismissing my claims at "typical arrogant JBoss".  So
far they've been very helpful with their recommendations.