[jboss-dev] new shared JBOSS_HOME/server/lib directory

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 13:50:25 EST 2008

Aleksandar Kostadinov wrote:
> So you're saying the approach I suggest is *fundamentally* flawed? See
> below why I don't agree. I just opt for a better temporary solution so
> we don't have to deal with the current for a long time. If too hard
> then I'm ok with that.
>
> Let me summarize what I don't like in current server/lib approach and
> I hope that to be my last mail.
> 1. repurposing servers directory (I think better would be
> JBOSS_HOME/shared or something)
That was Dimitris original proposal as well, so it seem like what most
agree on.
> 2. will possibly be hardly reusable for additional server
> configurations (imagine if we want one less lib in the configuration)
> + leads again to duplication of libs in the distribution (although
> much less).
The server config can choose to not include a jar from the shared lib
directory. We have not really talked about how the shared/lib contents
are included in what traditionally was a server/xxx/lib/* wildcard
inclusion of everything. A classpath element that allows for wildard
inclusion as well as exclusion would allow a server config to use any
set of shared jars.

> 3. one can't easily change a bundled library only in one configuration
> for some test purposes (imagine security update testing)

Also addressed by a more flexible classpath notion.