[jboss-dev] AS is hanging at startup

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 12:30:13 EDT 2008

We've gone already down the path of optimizing this: the default config of AS5 CR1 booted in
about 50'' whereas now is down to 30'', which is acceptable but still a bit slower than
4.2.x at ~20''.

It's mostly expected due to the extra vfs layer and the the heavy annotation processing in
AS5. I am certain we can do better, but it's not #1 priority at this point. Maybe a target
for 5.0.1.

Sacha Labourey wrote:
> Damned.... that's a LOT, is this what Adrian is supposed to optimize?

>>> 15:09:31,406 INFO  [MetaDataAwareProfile] Using profile
>>> root:C:\SVN_HOME\trunk\b
>>> uild\output\jboss-5.0.0.CR2\server\web-profile
>>> 15:10:02,062 INFO  [TransactionManagerService] JBossTS Transaction
>> Service
>>> (JTA
>>> version) - JBoss Inc.
>>> 15:10:02,062 INFO  [TransactionManagerService] Setting up property
>> manager
>>> MBean
>>>  and JMX layer
>>>
>>> Any idea why? I am connected to the Internet.
>>>
>>> Actually, it doesn't really hang, but doing things pretty slowly and
>> then
>>> there is this:
>>>
>>> 2008-09-03 15:09:48,562 DEBUG
>>> [org.jboss.classloader.spi.base.BaseClassLoaderDomain] (main)
>>>
>> ClassLoaderDomain at faaa93{vfsfile:/C:/SVN_HOME/trunk/build/output/jboss-
>> 5.0.0
>>> .CR2/server/web-profile/deploy/jmx-console.war/} registerClassLoader
>>> BaseClassLoader at d4b411{vfsfile:/C:/SVN_HOME/trunk/build/output/jboss-
>> 5.0.0.C
>>> R2/server/web-profile/deploy/jmx-console.war/}
>>> 2008-09-03 15:09:49,390 DEBUG
>>> [org.jboss.deployment.OptAnnotationMetaDataDeployer] (main)
>> Deployment is
>>> metadata-complete, skipping annotation processing,
>> ejbJarMetaData=null,
>>> jbossWebMetaData=org.jboss.metadata.web.spec.Web23MetaData at 1f,
>>> jbossClientMetaData=null, metaDataCompleteIsDefault=false
>>> 2008-09-03 15:09:49,406 DEBUG
>>> [org.jboss.deployment.MappedReferenceMetaDataResolverDeployer] (main)
>>> vfsfile:/C:/SVN_HOME/trunk/build/output/jboss-5.0.0.CR2/server/web-
>> profile/d
>>> eploy/http-invoker.sar/ endpoint mappings:
>>>
>>> 2008-09-03 15:09:49,406 DEBUG
>>> [org.jboss.deployment.MappedReferenceMetaDataResolverDeployer] (main)
>>> Processing unit=invoker.war, structure:
>>> http-invoker.sar
>>>
>>> +invoker.war
>>>

>>> 2008-09-03 15:09:58,984 DEBUG
>>> [org.jboss.deployment.OptAnnotationMetaDataDeployer] (main)
>> Deployment is
>>> metadata-complete, skipping annotation processing,
>> ejbJarMetaData=null,
>>> jbossWebMetaData=org.jboss.metadata.web.spec.Web23MetaData at 1f,
>>> jbossClientMetaData=null, metaDataCompleteIsDefault=false
>>> 2008-09-03 15:09:58,984 DEBUG