[jboss-dev] another maven lesson

Ales Justin ales.justin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 09:44:18 EDT 2009

I thought I might share this one,
so you're not tapping in the dark (for so long) as I was.

Short story:
(a) plain build fails with no proper exception
(b) adding -X adds some more "confusing" info
(c) only exact debugging revealed the _real_ problem

The long "story" is somehow documented here:
  -
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=152721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

(a) is just useless, no surefile-reports, nothing ...

(b) java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org.jboss.test.system.controller.configure.value.text.test.TextValue
Test

Which is totally confusing, since you can see the class in FS.
If it just failed, one could check the reports.

(c) the _real_ problem: date parsing

The test class is parsing some dates in its initialization.
The date has US pattern, but my default Locale is not US,
it's si_SI (being from Slovenia :-)),
which doesn't quite understand that date pattern.

Running all tests somehow handles this exception very strangely,
running a single test exposed the problem.

I changed the dateFormat to lazy initialize
+ changing the default locale to US,
restoring the default on tearDown.

HTH.