[jboss-dev] JBoss Bootstrap, Embedded & Reloaded

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 12:51:57 EDT 2009

Bill Burke wrote:
> Stan Silvert wrote:
>> Bill Burke wrote:
>>>
>>> I think following these steps would do well in figuring out hwo you
>>> want the API to look:
>>>
>>> * How hard is it to use within Eclipse?
>>> * How hard is it to use within Intellij?
>>> * How hard is it to use with a unit test for, EJB + JPA + JCA?
>> It needs to be easier than using Cargo.  Right now I can use Cargo to
>> start/deploy/test/stop.  I do that every day from both Maven and
>> Ant.  I don't need to use any API at all.
>>
>> The problem is that Cargo is slow because it has to copy a new
>> configuration.  Embedded should be faster.  If it's not faster and
>> easier to configure than Cargo then you've lost.  Note that this
>> might just mean having JBoss Embedded as a Cargo-supported container.
>
> Again, I want to be able to right click on a test directory and run
> all the tests in there without having any special IDE plugin.  Having
> an embeddable servlet container to do RESTEasy unit testing has been a
> huge productivity boost for me.  The days of manually starting some
> process (and waiting) are over for me.  I refuse to use any tech that
> doesn't allow me to be this productive.
You guys are talking about two *different* but both valid usecases:

Bill's: Quick turnaround in IDE's and plain unittests (requires fast
startup and possible to start the server from information found on the
classpath of the project - the hard part)
Stan's: Integration testing support in the various build systems
requiring external process - this should be easy since it already exist :)

/max