[jboss-dev] JBoss Bootstrap, Embedded & Reloaded

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 13:36:05 EDT 2009

Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> On  Apr 7, 2009, at 18:37, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>
>> Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>>> Carlo, it's really hard to take that seriously.
>>>
>>> How can that be beyond the scope. People have to define configuration
>>> one way or an other right? to actually use Embedded.
>>> Has anyone any idea of the overall goal we want to achieve to provide
>>> actual solutions for actual problems? I believe we do and bill summed
>>> it up.
>> Here is the prototypical interface with which to configure Embedded:
>> http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/embedded/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/jboss/embedded/spi/JBossServerConfig.java
>>

>> As you can see it has a setter return this pattern (what's the name
>> for it again?). But it doesn't allow for configuration of data sources.
>
> Method chaining :) It is used in the builder pattern for example (I find
> method names wo the set* better as a setter returning this is not a
> JavaBean setter)
>

>> That's the job of the data source deployer from JCA.
>
> Yes but let me play the actual JBoss user (that I am) for a minute,
> "The deploywhat from what stupid TLA? I want to configure a freaking DS
> for god's sake. That's the #1 thing I need to do to set up this container!"
>
> If we need a uberproject EazyConf that covers 80% of conf use cases,
> fine. But we need a unified/easy to use configuration API. (Not only for
> Embedded eventually but I think embedded will shine with it).

+384759834759834759384758457487543987539487539845793847598347538475893475!

This API should:

a) Take 10 minutes or less to understand
    - Intelligent names for things (no
BridgedAbstractAdapterClassLoaderModulePluginMDRRetrieverEJB3Loader)
    - Require as few parameters as possible
    - Look a *normal* Java API
    - Not redundant
b) Be self-contained and fully expressible in one javadoc location
c) Not take arbitrary untyped objects (Atttachments)
d) Make using the AS look trivial

--
Jason T. Greene