DeploymentScanner usage WAS Re: [jboss-dev] Classloader changes from AS 4.2.2 to AS 4.2.3 affecting launch of Tool built Seam apps

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 08:30:33 EDT 2009

The issues you are talking about are NOT classloading
they are the DeploymentScanner.

I don't see any changes at all to this in the 4.2.x branch
http://viewvc.jboss.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/jbossas/branches/Branch_4_2/system/src/main/org/jboss/deployment/scanner/
and minor irrelevant(?) tweaks to some of the deployers.

In fact, the only major change in the deployers that looks relevant
to your problem is in all 4.2.x versions:
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-4037

As usual the clue is probably in the question:
"Exporting ear file works (when ear file copied manually to deploy
folder, along with ds file)"

So to reproduce the problem we need to know what you are doing
different?

Again the clues in the question:

"Anyone got an idea why exploded deployment ... differs from a zipped
deployment"

"WARN [DeploymentInfo] Only the root deployment can set the loader
repository"

So read the bottom of conf/jboss-service.xml on how the
URLDeploymentScanner handles URLs ending with / differently
to those that don't.

Whether the URL is actually a directory is irrelevant.

You are merely telling the scanner whether to deploy the URL
directly (as a top level deployment) or whether you want it
scanning for deployments.

P.S. Changing the names of the deployments (including the case)
can change the deployment ordering - see DeploymentSorter.
So if this is causing a problem you have a missing
undeclared dependency.