[jboss-dev] Further profling: Where should I focus?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Dec 23 15:27:18 EST 2009

On 12/23/2009 01:31 PM, Ales Justin wrote:
>> I could also volunteer to work on removing AOP
>> dependencies that currently exist for some components.
>
> With your AOP background, I think you would be a perfect fit to do this.
>
> I don't think we actually use any direct AOP proxying.
> We mostly "abuse" AOP for lifecycle callbacks.
> e.g. @JMX or @JNDI usage
>
> Dunno how much of this is really AOP code beyond the pointcut matching.
> We talked about changing this (at AS6 meeting) to plain OO,
> but I guess this could all be optimized with more optimized pointcut
> matching -- afaik, Flavia already did this (for her MSc), it just never
> saw the light of day properly.

Yeah, reducing the cost of AOP would be nice. We use the @DisableAOP
annotation to bypass AOPDependencyBuilder, but I don't see that
annotation used much, probably due to use of @JMX.

I was chatting with John Bailey, who's doing the VFS3 integration work,
and I don't think your working there would be too productive right now.
He's making fast progress. There are integration areas that still need
sorting, but I expect that much of the time there will be spent having
discussions, reaching consensus, which will be hard over the next couple
weeks.

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering