[jboss-dev] Use cases for manipulating AS classpath

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 04:45:22 EST 2009

Hi guys,

Can you give me a usecase where it is useful to add jars to the AS
classpath (JBOSS_CLASSPATH/RUN_CLASSPATH in the run.sh scripts) and not
just add them into lib folder ?

Asking since it is a constant "battle" in the tooling between users who
want full control and those who just want the server startup to *always*
work.
Before we go add a bunch of complex code to handle this I would like to
know of a use case that merits that users can set the classpath at
startup time instead
of just adding it into lib.

The usecases I have come up with I'm not sure if they are valid:

1) allows me to put stuff on the global classpath of the server without
manipulating a possibly read-only lib directory
2) Needed if you want to enhance the run.jar and other classes for
profiling/debugging purposes
3) Allows you to try a patch on run.jar without changing the possible
read-only AS directory

Anything else ?
Are those 3 usecases *valid* or is there better ways of doing that ?

 From a tooling users perspective I believe (though not yet confirmed)
that bullet 1 is the reason why they want it - thus I would like to know if
doing point 1 is semantically equal to putting that jar in the lib dir
of the server or the config. Or are there some (user perceived) difference ?

/max