[jboss-dev] How to fix vfs?

Ales Justin ales.justin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:53:50 EST 2009

> - Every updated snapshot solves some issue but introduces another
> regression.

The problem is that the initial issue - deleting files that result from
nested jars -
actually unfortunately turned into "opening a can of worms". :-(

Timeline:
(1) deleting unjared nested jars
(2) how we actually handle/understand all temps + cache
(3) how we handle temps in Deployers
(4) fix how we handle this in AbstractWarDeployer
(5) moving hasDeploymentBeenModified in JBossAS
  * moving it into Deployers
  * actually understanding temp notion
(6) treating temps as originals via URL/URI
(7) deleting temps breaks re-deploy
(8) ... :-(

> What is going so wrong with VFS and how we can fix it?

VFS even w/o temps and cache notion is not so trivial.
If you add temps and the actual caching (to get Seam deployment under
10min ;-),
you'll see where all can go wrong.

e.g. with some TCK tests and (6) it was such a small detail as '/' at
the end of URI.
Take this example and multiply it with X, to get the real picture on
what all could go wrong. ;-)

How to fix this?

Besides more tests in VFS?
Getting some more help to dig into those failure never hurt.

But I have a few other 'non testing' ideas.
But you already know about them, the question is are you gonna do
something about them. ;-)