[jboss-dev] JBossWeb as foundation for OSGi HttpService

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 09:12:40 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 13:14 +0100, Thomas Diesler wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I trying to optimize the JBoss OSGi HttpService integration with
> JBossWeb. Currently this generates JBossWebMetaData in memory and
> deploys that through the MainDeployer.

Why? More re-inventing the wheel?

It should be upto the jbossweb team whether they produce an osgi bundle
for standalone usage.

I could understand it if you were trying to implement the HTTPService
on top of JBossAS's TomcatService.

We already agreed along time ago that JBoss would provide a core
OSGi implementation/facade on top of the Microntainer/Deployers
that's where we should be putting our resources.

For the compendium (where it is not duplicated by JBossAS services
where we can provide a facade) we should work with other open source
OSGi implementations and share the implementations.

> What I am looking for however is an embedded Http server that I can use
> in the OSGi service. Most other HttpService implementations use Jetty
> for that reason.
>
> Is it possible to use JBossWeb embedded and setup Http endpoints through
> an API?

Of course it is possible, what do you think the jbossas/tomcat
project does?

If you really want to do it from scratch
(I did it once to prove you could bootstrap Tomcat using the MC
inside a testcase) you'll find it very
annoying because it tends to just throw NPEs (and even worse eat
error messages) if you get the api usage wrong.