[jboss-dev] Include Web Beans RI in next JBoss 5 release

Pete Muir pete.muir at jboss.org
Thu Jan 15 10:54:37 EST 2009

On 15 Jan 2009, at 15:20, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> Yes: 5.0.x is a stable branch and should only get bug fixes.

Fine by me :-) The big update we currently have to do in 5.0.0.GA (and
the problem Scott saw) is around updating EJB3; this update is in 5.0.1.

> By all means, integrate it into 5.1.  But if it were me running the
> project, I'd say, make sure that when it does get into the 5.x
> branch that it is stable (a GA release), as merging snapshots and
> betas and CRs at this stage will serve only to delay the release
> which is supposed to be on a fixed schedule now.

I cetainly don't want to hold up AS. This was why I suggested it as a
preview of some sort - so that the JBoss AS release isn't held up by
not having a stable WB release. Worst comes to worst, we decide WB
isn't ready to integrate into AS 5.1.0.GA, and we just remove the
deployer (which is why the point about the WB libraries being isolated
is important).

But I think saying "all projects which make up AS *must* be in GA" is
too conservative - there are cases (like this one) where we want to
get some tech preview into the AS to give people a taste, and get
feedback. So, I would amend it to be "all projects must which make us
AS *must* be in GA or marked as tech preview. If the project is marked
tech preview, it should be isolated from the AS, and easy to remove".

> The point of my email really has nothing to do with Web Beans

The status is that we have preview releases we would like to get
feedback on. We probably won't have a GA by the time AS 5.1 goes out,
but that doesn't stop the features we do have (and the integration)
being relatively stable.

> - I don't really know the status at all.  I was just trying to get
> Dimitris to be more assertive - he just seems so darn apologetic and
> polite all the time. :-)
>
> I would take it even a step farther and say that Dimitris should
> have a fixed window during which people are allowed to merge new
> features into the 5.x branch (which should be on a public calendar
> somewhere),

Sounds sensible to me. So, tell me the window, and I'll get the work
in for that window :-)