[jboss-dev] Shared component-matrix

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 03:39:39 EST 2009

Back in March, I introduced the idea of a "Shared Component Matrix" to
be the authority over which versions AS would use.

JIRA -
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-5324

Forum -
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=131748

The intention was for this to be a component scoped outside of the
Application Server such that it could be relied upon by outside
projects.  In other words, both AS and jbossas/projects/* could rely
upon the same 3rdparty components.

The Threads stop and don't explain why it was decided that
component-matrix should live inside AS, therefore ineligible to be
consumed outside due to cyclic dependencies.  I believe the reason was
"it makes it easier to tag AS altogether".

I was opposed to this at the time, and it's still unacceptable. :)

Concrete example of why:

The last update to jboss-ejb3-proxy defined a dependency upon
jboss-metadata:1.0.0.CR8.  At the time, this was in sync between AS and
ejb3-proxy.

Over the past few months, AS has updated jboss-metadata, now at
1.0.0.CR14.  The dependency declared in ejb3-proxy is orphaned, and has
stayed constant.

We've therefore been unit testing ejb3-proxy against stale jboss-metadata.

Tonight I go to update in preparation for a GA *RELEASE*, and guess
what?  Regression was introduced sometime in the past 4 months, I'm just
seeing it now, and this blocks the whole release process until I can
find and fix this bug.

Please, let's re-open the discussion about a shared dependency policy.

S,
ALR

--
Andrew Lee Rubinger