[jboss-dev] Shared component-matrix

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 04:25:39 EST 2009

Exactly, so it doesn't matter which component you choose as a starting
point for the shared base. It'll always be the wrong one.

Short example:
- component-matrix CR1 has EJB 3 CR1 and Logging CR1
- EJB3 goes GA with component-matrix CR1 (there is no GA for that one yet)
- component-matrix goes GA with EJB 3 GA and Logging GA
- see EJB3 fail (because of some weird change in Logging GA)

So in effect AS can't dictate the version of Logging in any way. It can
only consume its dependencies and spot inconsistencies, where it not
that Maven fails horribly here.

Now suppose the version of Logging in all components would be set to:
[1.0,1.1). And we add an extra component here:
AS -> Web -> Logging

Then I would like to see two builds: one with snapshots (continuous
integration) and one with released artifacts (latest greatest stable).
But this requires two conditions:
1. Snapshot artifacts must be static (
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEPLOY-77 ) and might be reproducible.
2. All other artifacts (Alpha, Beta, CR, GA) must be static and must be
reproducible ( http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEPLOY-82 ).

It also requires me to be able to choose whether snapshots can be part
of my build.
(related: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3092 )

Not to mention the fact that all JBoss version numbers (except JBoss
EJB3) are incompatible with Maven.

So all in all I think we've reached the end of the line with Maven.
Unless someone can think of anything else to try, we should start using
a tool that addresses our needs, not the hype.

Carlo