[jboss-dev] Regular expression for key value pairs

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 12:21:50 EDT 2009

Splitting via regex is usually not a very good way to tokenize.  If you
want to do a regex-based tokenizer, you'd probably create a pattern which
matches, in alternation, all the different possible tokens as separate
capture groups (written in such a way that any non-matching text causes the
overall pattern match to fail).  Then your code can use Matcher.find() in a
loop, and whichever matcher.group() is populated, that's the matched token.

Of course that's a bit of a pain as well. :-)

Doing this via split doesn't work well because the "" strings can contain
commas, as well as various escape sequences, among other issues.

- DML