[jboss-dev] fragile JBossAS component integration

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 12:56:00 EDT 2009

Hi all

I'm attempting to test a new version of the transaction
manager against AS trunk and running into assorted problems.

Some unit tests are essentially stress tests. I can make
them pass on my hardware, but only by cranking up memory
settings, thread pool sizes and various ulimit values. Is it
really desirable to require this? If should the environment
settings with which the tests are expected/required to pass
be documented somehwere?

Now onto the main issue:

Some tests use methods on the transaction manager that are
not part of the transactions integration spi. Or to put it
another way, they rely on implementation details of the
component.

For example, tests that use JMX to get the TransactionCount
in order to determine if a tx ran or not. Lets set aside the
fact this is broken because the method always returns 0
unless you remember to turn on statistics gathering, which
is off by default.

Instead, can we discuss what constitutes the stable API for
test purposes? If I'm expected to fix assorted tests that
break whenever I change the component API (rather than the
SPI) that's fine, but I need to know in advance so I can
plan time for it.

On a similar theme, I'm adding a bunch of new transactions
related beans to the transaction-jboss-beans.xml file. These
are essentially implementation specific for the transaction
manager, but nothing prevents other modules beans.xml using
them, even though they are not part of the SPI. What's the
stability/revision policy here? Should anything in the
-beans.xml have to be in the SPI .jar? Be commented with the
expected stability so people wiring their beans to it can
make informed decisions?

MC is great, but it takes us into a world where the
traditional spi interface .jars are no longer the whole
integration story. I'd appreciate some guidelines on how to
maintain clean separation of components in the new server
architecture.

Thanks

Jonathan.

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111
Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in UK and Wales under Company Registration No.
3798903  Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters
(USA), Matt Parsons (USA) and Brendan Lane (Ireland)