[jboss-dev] Changing meta data runtime

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 12:06:58 EDT 2009

Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> Do we want to keep the functionality of changing meta data runtime?
>
> http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4255672

While interesting, I don't think this feature is all that useful with
annotations. If an annotation refers to a programmatic concept (as most
annotations in EJB), then the deployment has to be redeployed anyway.
Also, the user still has to update the source to make it a long term
change. If the annotation refers to an actual administration
configuration concept (say security domain like in the test), then
specifying it by annotation is sketchy to begin with, and should just be
a default. The configuration for such a thing, being a capability an
admin controls, should have a very loose association (if at all) with an
annotation. They should not need to specify an annotation name to
control this, and it doesn't make a lot of sense for the code to read
such a config value via an annotation name either, as that interface is
overly constrained.

It seems a better way to support this would be to just provide a profile
service management method to change the domain, which is responsible for
pushing it to the security interceptor.

--
Jason T. Greene