[jboss-dev] [Fwd: [jsr-316-eg] Validator and validator factory names]

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Sep 18 05:48:34 EDT 2009

Excellent.
I think that's good enough for the beta.

Here are the EE 6 requirements as outlined by the latest EE6 PFD (I've
bolded what we need to work on still - AFAIK). I guess we should open
JIRAs for that.

The Bean Validation specification defines a metadata model and API for
JavaBean
validation. The default metadata source is annotations, with the
ability to override
and extend the metadata through the use of XML validation descriptors.
The Java EE platform requires that web containers make an instance of
ValidatorFactory available to JSF implementations by storing it in a
servlet
context attribute named
javax.faces.validator.beanValidator.ValidatorFactory.
The Java EE platform also requires that an instance of
ValidatorFactory be
made available to JPA providers as a property in the map that is
passed as the
second argument to the
createContainerEntityManagerFactory(PersistenceUnitInfo, Map) method of
the PersistenceProvider interface, under the name
javax.persistence.validation.factory.

Applications that need to use those interfaces can find appropriate
objects by
looking up the name java:comp/Validator for Validator and java:comp/
ValidatorFactory for ValidatorFactory, or by requesting the injection
of an
object of the appropriate type via the @Resource annotation.

A Validator or ValidatorFactory object reference may also be declared
in a
deployment descriptor in the same way as a resource environment
reference.
In order to customize the returned ValidatorFactory, an ejb, web or
application client module may specify a Bean Validation XML deployment
descriptor. The name of the descriptor is WEB-INF/validation.xml for web
modules, META-INF/validation.xml for all other types of modules.
A validation deployment descriptor only affects ValidatorFactory
instances
in that module.
There is no per-application validation deployment descriptor.
that's not implemented right? If someone can set up this per module
separation, I can write the validation.xml parser in jboss-metadata
and build the appropriate VF in the bv deployer