[jboss-dev] OSGi removed from 'all' profile

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Fri Apr 9 05:11:01 EDT 2010

Although a separate 'osgi' profile/config increases the distro size, I think too, it's
better to have it separate from 'all'.

If you include it in 'all', it will increase the already long boot time, and the
functionality will get lost together with everything else that is already there. Also 'all'
is usually the base for EAP 'production' and we might not want to offer full OSGi support,
as yet.

On the other hand, having it separately, makes it stand out and will trigger more people to
try it out, start experimenting with it and provide feedback. When at a later time,
JBoss-OSGi becomes more integrated with the other subsystems (EJB3, etc.) we might re-consider.

I would even suggest that at some point we drop the 'minimal' config in favor of 'osgi', in
the sense that if people want a bare runtime to write server extensions, they might be
better off going with the OSGi standard.

My 0.02c