[jboss-dev] New AS Module: "depchain"

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Sat Apr 10 15:43:40 EDT 2010

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7894

This week we've introduced a new module into AS, "depchain".  As the
name infers, this is a single POM dependency which consumers of the
Application Server may use to import the full runtime ClassPath into
his/her Maven-based project.

The driving use case here is for users of the EmbeddedAS APIs; it's much
easier for them to write and execute tests using the full runtime
complement if they employ a ClassLoading structure where everything is
available via parent delegation up to the appCL.  This means users are
free to link directly to the Kernel etc without worrying about what
other dependencies are required (and which are prohibited) at different
ClassLoading levels to avoid NoClassDefFoundError.

In AS proper/standalone we circumvent this issue with a very explicit
BOOT_LIBRARY set in Main, and a repackaged run.jar to boot.  For most
users this constitutes a prohibitively difficult and involved setup.

The AS "build" module depends upon "depchain" to create the $JBOSS_HOME
assembly.

The Ant/Standalone corollary, a single JAR dependency, is pending:

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7907

S,
ALR
--