[jboss-dev] Small boottime improvement

Kabir Khan kabir.khan at jboss.com
Fri Feb 12 05:19:51 EST 2010

On 11 Feb 2010, at 23:23, Bill Burke wrote:

> BTW, my guess is that it is file caching.  Good job though!  Almost a
> full second shaved off.  Nothing to sneeze about.
>
> So what's next for optimization?
In dependency the things which had the biggest impact were not breaking out of the resolveContexts() loop and that AbstractDependencyItem was calling controller.getContext() three times when a dependency is not there yet.

For me, profiling the whole app server startup gives too much information and different hotspots don't really stand out that much. I'm creating a series of micro-benchmarks to profile different areas in isolation. Next is trying the different things in jboss-kernel, which is more interesting since it pulls in things like MDR and jboss-reflect. I'll have a look at the ScopeKey lookups I mentioned in http://community.jboss.org/message/525925#525925 today, before trying out other parts of kernel.

> * Is VFS3 in trunk/ now?
>
> * Did somebody look into whether code guards are being done for logging?
>  (isDebugEnabled(), etc.)
I believe Ales did this for MC

> * Any possible improvements to creating BeanMetaData?
>
> * How about making our bean.xml files more coarse grain?  Meaning *A
> LOT* less implementation details exposed through XML.  You can do IoC in
> Java you know.  The vast majority of details within all our beans.xml
> files will never ever change, nor will we want to support users changing
> this stuff.  If our beans.xml file are reduced to a few bean definitions
> and classes, would make parsing and creating bean metadata much much faster.
If somebody wants to look into that, some help would be welcome. I've got a feeling my hands will be full the next few weeks :-)