[jboss-dev] new profiles for AS6 + mvn artifact classloading

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 10:55:51 EDT 2010

For AS6 I was wondering if we could do a couple of things:

1. Ditch the old profiles.  Remove 'all', 'default', and 'minimal'.
Replace with 'production' and 'development'.

'production' would be tuned for runtime performance, security, and
anything else we can think of.  It would also be the 'all' profile
containing clustering jars, etc.  'development' would be tuned for boot
time performance, i.e. zero-persistence HornetQ, removal of unneeded
development components (like clustering) and anything else we can think
of.  It might also be interesting to create a 'legacy' profile which
contains things like EJB2, JAX-RPC, the ancient scheduler, and anything
else we can think of.  These legacy components would be removed from
'development' and maybe 'production'.  I don't know, just some ideas.
Maybe 'production' also has a boot-bean that checks to see if people
have changed the password for the management console, hornetq, etc...

2. I really want to push the 'booting from a local maven repository'
idea that has been floated around by me and many others.  Of course, I
like what I did as it is a minimal code change, minimal processing, and
a very simple interface to <classloader>, but I don't care what code is
used.  I think there are a few advantages to this approach:

- Our main distribution becomes smaller.  How much?  Not sure, but I'm
guessing at least 25% smaller.

- Shipping a profile becomes much smaller and can be just a bunch of
text files and directories.  Such shipped profiles could have a simple
pom.xml that downloaded all the dependend libraries into the user's
local maven repository.

Now, I'm not suggesting we just do these things outright.  We could blog
about it, post on forums, ask customers, etc.  Get some input before we
make the changes.  But, IMO, the above are simple changes that require
only a bit of monotonous, brain-dead work.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat