[jboss-dev] JBossAS 5: Using ../..-style paths in application.xml

Kenny MacLeod kenny.macleod at kizoom.com
Tue Jun 22 10:00:54 EDT 2010

Folks,

We are in the process of trying to port our existing applications from
EAP 4.3 to EAP 5.0.1.

Our current sticking point is regarding the way we construct our EARs'
application.xml files in theWindows development environment. In order to
allow JBoss to load classes directly from the developers' IDE
directories, we've been using relative paths in application.xml that
point directly at those directories, e.g.

<application>
   <module>
     <java>..\..\..\..\..\..\..\path\to\my.jar</java>
   </module>
</application>

In other words, my.jar isn't actually under the EAR's directory
struture, but somewhere else on the filesystem.

This is a rather dubious practice, but it works without complaint in
JBossAS 4. The JBossAS 5 VFS however, doesn't like it at all, since it
can't find my.jar physically under the EAR root directory:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Child not found my.jar for
FileHandler at 27267010[path=Test.ear
context=file:/D:/dev/workspaces/test/TestEAR/build/jboss/
real=file:/D:/dev/workspaces/test/TestEAR/build/jboss/Test.ear/],
available children: [FileHandler at 958828[path=Test.ear/META-INF
context=file:/D:/dev/workspaces/test/TestEAR/build/jboss/
real=file:/D:/dev/workspaces/test/TestEAR/build/jboss/Test.ear/META-INF/]]
         at org.jboss.virtual.VirtualFile.findChild(VirtualFile.java:472)

I can understand entirely why it doesn't like it, but I'm trying to
convince it otherwise - retaining similarlity to our current envrionment
as much as possible is highly disrable to reduce the risk of this migration.

Can the VFS be manipulated this way?

Yours hopefully,
kenny