[jboss-dev] Public IP address used by JBoss AS

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Thu May 27 02:48:50 EDT 2010

Brian Stansberry wrote:
> Since this is really an API discussion, I'd still like to hear more
> about what the real world use cases are. I get the one where a server
> listens on interface X for external requests and uses interface Y for
> internal to the cluster traffic. I can dream up others. What other
> ones are actually used?

Just to re-iterate: this cloud use case is very important. In most cloud
environments, you don't get a static IP address unless you use something
like elastic IP addresses (EC2) or some kludges to find out the IP
address and then resolve it via dyndns.org. Some cloud providers charge
extra for traffic on public IPs, and traffic on site-local IPs is free.
The latter of course could be used for JGroups traffic (discovery,
replication, distribution).

In my use case, as a matter of fact all traffic can use site-local IP
addresses except for the AJP connector: because it will be accessed by
httpd mod-cluster (in a different cloud), it needs a public IP.

This use case is really for running JBoss AS in the cloud

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team