[jboss-dev] Do we need mod_cluster.sar in "default" JBoss AS config?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 14:05:09 EDT 2010

Well, I disagree.  I can't see many (any) people using httpd, a proxy,
or load balancing during development.  Again, IMO, its not 'all' vs.
'default', but 'production' vs. 'dev'.  'production' should be
performance tuned, secured, and clustered out of the box.  'dev's
priority should be to boot uber fast out of the box.

On 9/23/10 1:39 PM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
> mod_cluster will use the AJP connector if it is defined, though it does
> not require it (i.e. it can use the HTTP connector).  That said, I
> completely disagree with the notion that we shouldn't include support
> for httpd proxying in a development profile.  This is not an uncommon
> setup for a development environment.  As mod_cluster is now our
> recommended httpd proxying/load balancing technology, IMO, it is quite
> appropriate to include it in the "default" profile.
>
> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 11:52 -0400, Bill Burke wrote:
>> mod-cluster has replaced the old AJP connector?  I'm advocating removing
>> anything from 'default' that doesn't make sense for development.
>>
>> On 9/23/10 11:46 AM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
>>> mod_cluster.sar provides AS support for the mod_cluster httpd module.
>>> The "default" profile has always included support for the mod_jk and
>>> mod_proxy httpd modules via the AJP connector in jbossweb.sar's
>>> server.xml and the supporting JvmRouteValue.  Are you advocating for the
>>> removal of these from "default" as well?

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com