[jboss-rpm] Using RPM packaged JBoss AS in different location by different user

Juan Hernandez juan.hernandez at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 13:07:39 EDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 06:55 PM, Marek Goldmann wrote:

>>> In general above example is for users not interested in storing anything
>>> in /etc.
>>>
>>> But yes, in your case all above files are stored (for example) in
>>> /etc/ovirt-engine/jboss-as/ dir and it's symlinked to the configuration/
>>> dir in $JBOSS_BASE_DIR.
>>>
>>> Does it make sense?
>>
>> my question was actually if the original files are being updated via yum
>> update, since now we'd be using copies.
>
> You're shipping your configuration files and therefore you're
> maintaining these files. Above cp commands were just an example how to
> quick-start.
>
> Original files stored in /etc/jboss-as/standalone are not used at all
> when starting AS in the way I presented above. They can be changed and
> it'll not make any difference to your environment. More, they can be
> even removed and your service will still work.

The original jboss-as configuration files are marked as
%config(noreplace), so they will be updated during "yum update" only if
the user didn't do any change since the initial installation. The
installation process of ovirt-engine does such changes (it edits
standalone.xml). This means that the update of jboss-as will never
update those files.

Instead of that I think that the ovirt-engine configuration files should
go in /etc/ovirt-engine/jboss-as (and symlinked to
/usr/share/ovirt-engine/standalone/configuration). These configuration
files should be part of the ovirt-engine RPM and untouched during the
installation, so they are updated when ovirt-engine is updated with "yum
update", unless the end-user decides to manually modify them.

(If at all possible I would use jboss-as system properties instead of
symlinks. Are there such system properties in AS7?)