[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam and Hibernate

jjsoft do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 8 10:15:24 EDT 2006

Re class/jar imcompatability

I will check that out. I did not suspect that might be a problem since most (but not all) of the examples are working fine.  I think my problem is that my back end is an Entity Bean so the conatiner is handling persistant. In the real world I will make the backend bean a POJO and handle persistant myself, but before I go there I want to be able to understand how to configure JBoss/Seams to use Hibernate/MySql for entity beans.

I am trying to understand JSF, so I can evaluate it usefulness. I really like EJB3 now that Hibernate is good at Object to Relation modeling.  But the User Interface guys/gals think the JSF MVC framework is better then EJB MVC framework. I am not comvinced but I am willing to have a look. But unless I can get something, even a trivial something,  real world like working it will be dificult to form an opiniun one way or the other.

This is the second attempt at getting a little prototype going, the first attempt was made by someone else, and the results did not match expectations.

The idea of an event driven UI is fine, I was one of the first to use XWindows long ago. So I like event driven UIs like Swing, but in a GET POST world how heavily a price am I going to have to paid?

I am rambling, sorry. Well I hope someone can let me know how to configure this monter to use Hibernate/MySql for container managed persistance instead of the build in Hypersonic database.  In EJB3 I would define a datasource like this

  (local-tx-datasource>
      (jndi-name>WorkDS</jndi-name>
      (connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/joms</connection-url>
      (driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
      (user-name>xxxxxx</user-name>
      (password>xxxxxx
      (connection-property name="autoReconnect">true</connection-property>
      (metadata>
         (type-mapping>mySQL</type-mapping>
      (/metadata>
   (/local-tx-datasource>