[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Re: A beginner seeking for advice

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 9 13:36:50 EDT 2006

1) Download the application server from http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbossas/download.
Also, look at the Getting Started Guide at http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/getting_started/v5/html/.  The Guide provides installation instructions.

2) I run on Fedora Core 5, so I cannot comment directly on Ubuntu though I recall seeing some forum posts from Ubuntu users.  .  The JVM that comes with Linux distros is usually insufficient to run JBoss (or any app server), so you should also get a JDK from http://java.sun.com.  A 1.4.2 JDK is fine, but if you plan to do any EJB3 work, you should get the 1.5 JDK.

3) No, but most people developing for JBoss use Eclipse or NetBeans.  There is a JBoss-specific Eclipse plug-in at http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbosside/?prjlist=false.

4) I don't know.

5) If you have a 64-bit OS and install a 64-bit JDK, JBoss will run on it.  There is no special 64-bit version of JBoss, or any pure Java application , for that matter.  Any pure Java application will run on a 64-bit or 32-bit JVM.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3964111#3964111

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3964111