[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Developing a very simple action

SmokingAPipe do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Aug 14 18:31:58 EDT 2006

Ok, I'll do that.

As a developer, I would say that "Lame error reporting" is Java's worst problem.  Instead of throwing "Cannot find class: java.util.StringBuilder", the JVM should say, "You need to upgrade to Java 1.5.  Go to http://java.com to download it".  That kind of thing.  A stack trace is a very helpful debugging tool, but only to the person who thoroughly understands the code that generated the stack trace.  Everyone else needs not just a stack trace, but an ERROR MESSAGE that gives some information about what the problem is and how to solve it.

Software used to give messages like, "This program failed due to Error 54839".  Fortunately people have realized that those types of messages are worthless.  I would submit that Java's exception mechanism is better, but developers should be strongly encouraged to provide meaningful, readable error messages in addition.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3965136#3965136

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3965136