[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - Datasource connection timeouts

ben_ben do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 15 05:18:20 EDT 2006

Hi,

We're using pooled database connections through JBoss 4 connecting to an Ingres database. Everything works fine when the system first starts up, connections successfully contact the database and get reused via the connection pool. However...

...when the system is left alone for a reasonable length of time (e.g. 4-5 hours) the next use of a database connection times out, leaving a broken connection which is then returned to the pool. We've changed the datasource configuration to validate connections it gets out of the pool so that the system can continue to run, but we can't work out why the time-outs occur. We've also connected from a stand alone application using the same jdbc driver class to our database (i.e. bypassing JBoss) and the connections can be used and left alone with no problems at all, which leads us to think it's a datasource configuration problem.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

Datasource configuration: