[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Best way to learn

Agathon do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 15 10:23:25 EDT 2006

"thomas.heute at jboss.com" wrote : What you mention first looks like a weird bug in your application, not a flaw.

This may be true, but there were no indications that this was the case; otherwise, we would have fixed it. How it "looks like a weird bug in [my] application", when you:

a) Have not seen the bug
b) Have not seen the source code
c) Have no idea what environment MyFaces was running in

is beyond me.

"thomas.heute at jboss.com" wrote : "lack of control the developer has over the markup" is actually the best thing, as a developer i don't want to mess with markup, i want my designer to do this job. This is just a matter of components anyway and the components let the designer focus once on the way something has to be rendered.

FYI, I wear both hats: designer and developer. In formatting a user interface you have several options: CSS, the standard components (which suffer from the "flaws" I mentioned previously), and creating custom components (not fun). Among these CSS is your best bet, but it is more limited, and has more varying levels of implementation among browsers than plain old HTML (although this is slowly changing).

That said, I do agree with your point: when I put on my developer hat I just want to work with components. However, when I put on my designer hat, I want to be able to easily modify all the HTML that is produced. Balancing the requirements of developers verus those of designers is tricky business. Unfortunately, in my opinion, JSF leans too far towards the needs of developers while gimping designers.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3965266#3965266

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3965266