[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Accessing portal pages from web app.

bhupeshs do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 22 03:20:20 EDT 2006

Hi,

 My requirement of portal is slightly different from the general use. Let me explain it. I have to access the portal page from within my application. i.e. I would like to include the portal page in my application page say dashboard.

The problem here i am facing is that the portlets/portal pages work on a differnt webcontext (say portal) and my application works on a different context (say abc). Since they are two different web contexts, i cannot include the page of one context into the other. I tried it but couldn't find a clean solution.
( One option is to use getServletContext("Portal") from within my dashboard page then call the jsp include to get the protal pages. I do not want to use it as there are many problems with it including passing the security credentials etc...).

So the typical scenario would look something like this.

  |   ____________abc/dashboard.jsp________________________
  |  |   _______________________________________________   |
  |  |  |                                               |  |
  |  |  |           Dashboard page contents             |  |
  |  |  |_______________________________________________|  |
  |  |                                                     |
  |  |   __________portal/portalPage___________________    |
  |  |  |                                               |  |
  |  |  |   Included portal page inside dashboard       |  |
  |  |  |                                               |  |
  |  |  |     _____________          _____________      |  |
  |  |  |    |             |        |             |     |  |
  |  |  |    |  Portlet1   |        |  Portlet2   |     |  |
  |  |  |    |             |        |             |     |  |
  |  |  |    |____________ |        |____________ |     |  |
  |  |  |                                               |  |
  |  |  |                                               |  |
  |  |  |     _____________          _____________      |  |
  |  |  |    |             |        |             |     |  |
  |  |  |    | Portlet3    |        |  Portlet4   |     |  |
  |  |  |    |             |        |             |     |  |
  |  |  |    |____________ |        |____________ |     |  |
  |  |  |                                               |  |

The requirement arose because we want to include a few portlets in the existing application. i.e upgrade the existing dashboard to a portal page and all other pages would remain same.

I just wanted to know if this kind of setup is possible with JBoss Portal or not? If possible how? and what are the implications on the security modue (Authentication/Authorizaiton)?

awaiting a quick response,
Thank you,
Bhupesh

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3966601#3966601