[jboss-user] [Management, JMX/JBoss] - Embedding MySQL as an MBean with Connector/MXJ

danliang do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 24 12:23:00 EDT 2006

Hello,
This is perhaps more closely related to Connector/MXJ  than jBoss, but I am hoping for someone here has experience with the two that can lend a hand...

Currently I am developing an application using Java JDK 1.4.2, mySQL 5.0.19, jBoss 4.0.2, Connector/J 5.0, and Connector/MXJ 5.0.

I am attempting to embedd mySQL by using MXJ act as an MBean that jBoss will control. I have the database to communicate with the application, but am interested in passing options to MySQL on startup. What I would like to is:

1.) Specify a datadir and basedir
I have added the attributes to my "mysqld-service.xml", but get an error stating that the specified directory is not equal to "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Temp\mysql-c.mxj\" How can I specify the directory for MXJ to setup the data dir in? This works with MXJ 1.1. NOTE - I have gotten this to work by changing the source so that the method 'ensureDir' in 'MysqldResource.java' to change the base and data dir if they are different then the expected. I have also changed the order of the calls to:
adjustParameterMap(mysqldArgs)
makeMysqld();
ensureEssentialFilesExist();
To the above order in the meth0d 'exec' in the 'MMysqldResource.java' so that the baseDir and dataDir are changed prior to creating the files.
So far, this seems to work as expected, but does anyone see if this will cause problems?

2.) call mySQLd with a defaults-file.
I have modified the source to allow me to pass in a defaults-file, but was wondering if this was left out intentially as it is not good practice to start the MySQL with a defaults file through MXJ.

3.) Connect to MySQL through named pipes as a datasource in jBoss.
For example in my 'mysql-ds.xml' in my jboss/deploy folder:
<connection-url>jdbc:mysql:mxj://localhost:3306/DB</connection-url>

connects via TCP/IP;

where:

<connection-url>jdbc:mysql:mxj://./DB</connection-url>
<connection-property name="socketFactory">com.mysql.jdbc.NamedPipeSocketFactory</connection-property>

would connect via named-pipe

This causes an error to occur when jBoss attempts to connect to mySQL.

Any insight on how to get named-pipe connections to work?

Thanks,

Dan

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3967282#3967282

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3967282