[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Alfresco has embedded jBPM

alf_dave do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Aug 25 14:51:09 EDT 2006

Hi jBPM developers and contributors,

For the last couple of months we've been embedding jBPM into Alfresco.  We've found the quality of the jBPM code, documentation and examples to be very good and haven't really needed to use this forum too much!  Excellent work.

The integration has involved:

1) Layering the Alfresco Web Client User Interface onto jBPM - this means using our own meta-data support to describe the data required by a process and each task and having that drive the Alfresco UI dialogs.
2) Encapsulating jBPM behind a service-oriented API - potentially allowing RMI or Web Service access.
3) Allowing jBPM process context and task variables to reference objects inside the Alfresco Content Repository - jBPM beanshell scripts can navigate the repository and perform operations (such as checkout,checkin,
transform).
4) Using Spring Modules to tie Alfresco & jBPM persistence and transactions
5) Hooking into various jBPM plug-in points such as Value Converters, Task Factory etc

I understand that work around task meta-data and task dialog rendering is taking place for 3.2.  We'd be happy to share our experience in this area.

A preview of this integration will be available soon - some documentation can be found on our wiki at http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Workflow.

Thanks.

David Caruana,
Alfresco