[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: How to do virutal hosts with JBoss Portal

dhartford do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Aug 31 10:04:43 EDT 2006

If you have multiple virtual hosts pointing to different jboss portals sharing the same db/content, I could see where you want to push support for virtual hosting on the App server side.

However, I don't understand that if the portals have different db/content, why a front-facing Apache is not an acceptable solution.  I would think in most cases you want Apache in front of the App server anyway, regardless if using virtual hosting or not.  An App server is great at handling dynamic web content and 'application' stuff.  Apache does well interfacing on the network-level with DNS/virtual hosting, proxy, redirect/re-writes, etc.  Use both their strengths.

I would be concerned about putting a lot of jboss's time into developing a app-server based virtual hosting solution which would be a workaround/patch on the app server to replicate what already exists (and more efficiently) on Apache.

I just want to see Jboss Portal 2.6 as soon as possible, too, so a little biased ;-)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3968634#3968634

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3968634