[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Understanding Seam

lightbulb432 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Dec 8 03:13:18 EST 2006

I just deployed my first simple Seam application, and have some questions about the generated HTML I see. I am wondering how each of the generated hidden fields and javascript in the output below contribute to Seam's functionality.

How do each of these form fields help Seam do what it does? Seam is a wonderful tool, but I'd like to understand "how" it does what it does (on a high enough level that it might be explained in a couple of detailed replies to this post)...because right now it seems a bit "too" transparent and magical.

		<input type="hidden" name="registerForm_SUBMIT" value="1" />
  | 		<input type="hidden" name="registerForm:_link_hidden_" />
  | 		<script type="text/javascript"><!--
  | 				function clear_registerForm() {
  | 				var f = document.forms['registerForm'];
  | 				f.elements['registerForm:_link_hidden_'].value='';
  | 				f.target='';
  | 				}
  | 				clear_registerForm();
  | 				//--></script>
  | 		<input type="hidden" name="jsf_tree_64" id="jsf_tree_64" value="rO0ABXNyA=" />
  | 		<input type="hidden" name="jsf_state_64" id="jsf_state_64" value="wcHBwcHh4" />
  | 		<input type="hidden" name="jsf_viewid" id="jsf_viewid" value="/register.xhtml" />

As an example of things I'm wondering: how do these fields store state, are these fields only used with client-side state-saving, how do these fields implement the whole notion of conversations and business processes, what is stored on the client (i.e. in these fields) versus the server, etc.

I've read the manuals and tutorials, but there are still a lot of questions I have. Hopefully people who know can explain or people like me who do not can work through it to figure this all out!

Thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3992174#3992174

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3992174