[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - Re: Sybase database pool not claiming used connections

viniciuscarvalho do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Dec 13 12:41:38 EST 2006

Hello Weston thanks for your time and advices. Some points:

Enabling the Tracing would overwhelm us, in a test machine for a simple scenario we had over 1.000 lines of output. I can't even imagine in production (thousands of users per day). Could we go without this?

We don't have any warnings from JBoss stating that it closed the connection for us, but if you would not mind to explain to me, how does JBoss check this? I mean if we do have a connection leak, in a class that is hold in memory and not collected by the GC, would JBoss still claim that connection and close it?

Regarding the JTDS, that's our next shot, do you know if it has a better performance than jconnect (which according to Sybase is the best around ;) )

As you can see there's no connection idle timeout (our mistake) we are fixing it. But what's the behavior of this property, would jboss close the physical connection between it and the DB after the number of minutes informed? If so, why during low access periods (late evenings for instance) I still get 50 connections available, wouldn't the expected number be something like 10 (the minimum)?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you could aid me on this.

Best Regards

  | datasources>
  |   <local-tx-datasource>
  |     <jndi-name>SybaseDS</jndi-name>
  |     <connection-url>jdbc:sybase:Tds:0.0.0.0:00/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</connection-url>
  |     <driver-class>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</driver-class>
  |     <user-name>xxxxx</user-name>
  |     <password>xxxxxxx</password>
  |
  | <!-- Walter -->
  |    <min-pool-size>10</min-pool-size>
  |    <max-pool-size>50</max-pool-size>
  |    <!--idle-timeout-minutes>6000</idle-timeout-minutes -->
  |     <!-- corresponding type-mapping in the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml (optional) -->
  |     <metadata>
  |        <type-mapping>mySQL</type-mapping>
  |     </metadata>
  |
  |   </local-tx-datasource>
  | </datasources>

PS: Got this from production right now, really do not know why we have mySQL as the type-mapping for a sybase ds... :P

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3993487#3993487

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3993487