[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Basic Seam questions

gavin.king@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Dec 19 22:19:31 EST 2006

There are several related problems:

(1) you want the user to be able to freely navigate backward during a conversation
(2) but you don't want them to be able to navigate backward once the conversation ends - or rather, its ok to navigate back, but if they try to submit a form, you want to stop them let them know that the conversation is over
(3) you also want them to be able to refresh pages, and see the conversational state, but you don't want the browser to resubmit the form
(4) you also want to be able to display transient messages

obviously (1) and (2) conflict - if you have no conversations, its very difficult to tell when they are allowed to go back and resubmit, and when they are not.

(3) and (4) also conflict - you have a choice between using redirect-after-post, which makes it difficult to display success/error messages, or not using it, which makes the browser try to resubmit the form when the user hits refresh

Conversations solve the first conflict, because the server now knows when the conversation is over. Try this in the booking demo: you can back button as much as you like - but if you confirm a booking, and then try to go back and re-confirm it, Seam detects that and gives a nice message.

They also solve the second conflict: you can user redirects as much as you like, and messages and other state remain on the server across the redirect.

When I do my Seam presentation I demo all these things, and it makes a lot more sense to *see it* than have it explained to you.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3995189#3995189

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3995189