[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: how is DataModelSelection populated

bfo81 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 12 06:53:30 EDT 2006

@Gavin:
I don't know how to get the ListDataModel object. The only thing I have is a annotated java.util.List.

@balamg:
The page main.seam is called, main.seam (or main.xhtml in reality) uses the hotelSearch managed bean, which is in reality the HotelSearchingAction instance. And this one gets the (in this case) 3rd row of the hotel list injected into the selectedHotel property. After that, the hotelBooking bean gets it's injections and the selectHotel method is invoked.

Don't know if that was 100% correct and if this was what you wanted to know. But I just had the eager to write that down ;).

@Seam team:
I write my diploma thesis in informatics about new J2EE technologies and Seam is definitely one of 'em. But there's one thing I'd like to say (and please don't be offended, just take it as constructive critisism). The examples should be the best start to get familiar with Seam and they should be templates for your own apps. But in my opinion they seem to be built in a hurry, and they're far from perfect.

Take the booking example: Open two search windows. Perform a clean search in window 1, and a search for "at" in window 2. Click on "Conrad Miami" in window 1. But instead of "Conrad Miami" you will get "Ritz Carlton" in window 1. Why? Cause the search list is a session bean, and the list of window 1 has been overwritten by the list generated by window 2's search. To get rid of this bug the search lists should have been conversational, too. Ok, it might be only a demo, but you suggest to take it as a template for an own application.

And what I really miss are simple CRUD templates. I guess there's almost no app without creating, listing, editing or deleting entities. Plus there are many "Todo"-blocks in the documentation- What is the pageflow example good for without a detailed explanation? Or mistakes like the default scope "conversation" - in fact it's "event". Then there's a blog not working, an old and small FAQ, a fragmentary problems FAQ, a deadlink to a tutorial movie, and a WIKI that just doesn't fulfill a novice's needs.

I'm sure you have diagrams showing the interaction between the classes or how Seam is exactly integrated into the JSF lifecycle. You even know many common mistakes which one should avoid. Well, we don't, and so there will always be questions like the one balamg asked.

Seam is said to be easy and it surely is... but only if you really understand how it works. If not, you definitely will run into tons of exceptions. You all have many years of J2EE expertise. But you can't premise that all programmer's out there have that knowledge, too. If you want Seam to become a killer you must also make it accessible to beginners. A good technology can't succeed without broad acceptance.

I don't want to put Seam down, no. It's great and I really want to use it. But it's very frustrating to learn it the hard way and being left alone with problems and questions. Ok, there's the forum, but we'd have to open a dozen threads every day, and that's not the way it should be ;).

Seam might be 1.0 and ready for production, but the docs and examples aren't... yet.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3957308#3957308

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3957308