[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: JBoss Seam is just a toy in front of the user using Spri

chenrici do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 12 16:50:15 EDT 2006

"norman.richards at jboss.com" wrote :  After several years of Spring development, do you see any of the code Spring guys trying to bring their ideas back into Java EE?   I saw lots of crying about J2EE, but did they contribute back to the Java community for the benefit of everyone?

How stupid! And this by a JBoss "Offical". I am a End-User and currently evaluating different technology options in a hopefully objective and unemotional way. And then i read this discussion in a Support Forum of Jboss.org, looking for help on a Tomcat Server Exception on a Seam Example Project.

I am not a Spring Fan: This isn't a football game, so i don't take sides. We evaluate technology to satisfy a complex set of requirements, which are mostly unique in the combination for a company and may even contradict.  So there's never, again: never a black and white, a clear cut option. And still you decide and are successful, if you decide right.

And another thing, i think i learned over the years:  in every science field i know about, creativity and innovation thrives on respect for the contributions for the others.

Also
"christian.bauer at jboss.com" wrote :
  | - easy things are easy to do
  | - difficult things are still easy to do
  | - the 90% common case can be implemented without effort
  | - the 10% more difficult problems can be solved in an elegant fashion
are so terribly misused marketing buzzwords. I heard this so many times in my professional life and have learnt not to believe them:  examples from way back: when SQL was made commerially available and MFS was introduced my IBM. Now Relational Databases and SQL are now the legacy (Problem) and MFS is probably not in use much anymore.

I am looking into Seam among many other options. And will continue to see how Seam may be adequat for our requirements.

But reading this posts and epecially Normans, as a JBoss Official, certainly don't invoke the impression of enterprise trustworthiness. It's the first time i saw, this kind of immature and irrelevant blabling in official support forum. Please be aware of the existents of  "soft" requirements: social and cultural factors, which are tremdously underestimated, see also James O. Coplien. (Who's that? you will probably ask...) .

Now to my initial intention to visit this forum. I admit i should have posted this in a seperate Thread. But i can't resist.

So maybe Norman or Christian can answer me this one:

The Seam Example application Issues gives me a Tomcat Exception:

INFO  12-07 21:23:30,786 (Log4JLogger.java:info:94)  -reading pages.xml
ERROR 12-07 21:23:31,705 (Log4JLogger.java:error:119)  -Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/myfaces/config/MyfacesConfig
        at org.apache.myfaces.renderkit.html.HtmlRendererUtils.writePrettyLineSeparator(HtmlRendererUtils.java:466)
        at org.apache.myfaces.custom.datalist.HtmlListRenderer.encodeBegin(HtmlListRenderer.java:53)
        at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.encodeBegin(UIComponentBase.java:512)
        at javax.faces.component.UIData.encodeBegin(UIData.java:547)
        at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.encodeBegin(UIComponentTag.java:464)
        at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.doEndTag(UIComponentTag.java:360)
        at org.apache.myfaces.taglib.UIComponentBodyTagBase.doEndTag(UIComponentBodyTagBase.java:55)

I am running with Tomcat: apache-tomcat-5.5.17, which i downloaded from the official apache site. And with: jboss-seam-1.0.1.GA.
Both out of the box in a "clean" installation.

Has somebody experienced simliar problems or can explain me the problem?

Thanx
Christoph Henrici

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3957526#3957526

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3957526