[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - From JIRA Issue to Patch on Production System

asbager do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 14 09:58:35 EDT 2006

Hi,

this may be a simple question, but I wonder how patches are supposed to be supplied to a JBoss AS in a production environment.

Looking at several JIRA issues (Status: closed; Resolution:Done), I didn't find any patches to unzip/unjar to a JBoss installation directory or things like that. Rather, the sources that have been changed for resolving the issue, are given.

But how is one supposed to deploy these changes?

The possiblities I see so far, are:

1) Getting the JBoss source once, merging the sources of JIRA issues when needed and then building the server again. But then one would have to make changes to config files in the source distribution either. So this is not a very convenient way to apply patches in production systems.

2) So, the other way to do it could be using the --patchdir=dir option of the run.sh-Script for running JBoss.
As far as I see, one or more separate classloaders are instantiated for loading sources in the patchdir directory. And I assume that loading system classes of the JBoss AS (i.e. classes in package org.jboss...) is first delegated to the classloaders of the patchdir. Thus, the equivalent (buggy) class, that has been installed before, does not get loaded any more but the class in the patchdir does. Is that right???

So, if this is right, can I simply put a Java source file (.java) of a JIRA issue to the patchdir and JBoss compiles it on the fly or do I have to compile the file, put in a jar file and then put the jar file to the patchdir?

This all seems a little complicated to me (there might be administrators who have to patch systems and even don't know the Java language),  so maybe I have overlooked something really basic???

Kind regards
Andreas

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3958078#3958078

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3958078