[jboss-user] [Remoting] - Re: Servlet and HTTP invoket does't throw remote method Exce

mazz@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 15 16:11:38 EDT 2006

I like the idea of having it configurable - let the web services team configure theirs so it returns the exception, let me configure it so it will throw the exception :-)

I just learned that a recent change now means invoke doesn't return an exception object, instead it returns a String (correct Tom?).

I don't like this.  You have no notion that this is really an error.  At the very least, if I can't get the exception thrown, I would prefer the object returned by invoke to be an Exception - its getMessage() can return that String that is returned now.

Wrapping in an Exception means at least my caller to invoke will know that a true exception occurred.  The stuff I'm working on, I want to use remoting's great feature of just being able to switch transports (in the invoker locator) and have a completely different transport mechanism used.  My code never really knows what transport is being used - the customer just configures the locator URL in a config file to what they want to and *poof* they get what they want. If you force me to look at the HTTP return code, that requires my code to assume I am using a servlet or http transport.  But that isn't always true.  Looking at the return value of invoke() and seeing if it is instanceof Exception is acceptable in my usecase (of course, having an exception getting thrown would be ideal).

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3958290#3958290

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3958290