[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Re: Jboss Cache and Hibernate Secondary Caching

Jim_Cross do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 19 16:25:14 EDT 2006

Dragging up a bit of an old thread here I know, but...

I've just started evaluating various caching strategies for use with Hibernate. I guess this question originally came from reading a table such as the one near the bottom of this page http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29685. Judging by the definition of the various caching strategies on that page, and the claim that JBossCache does not support read/write or nonstrict-read/write strategies, it would suggest that it only supports a read strategy.

This doesn't really make sense to me, as I don't see any point in having a transactional read-only cache, so I assume this is incorrect? The above post does seem to suggest that JBossCache does provide read/write caching. Can someone just confirm that please?

As an aside, I think this confusion might have originated from section 14.4.5 of the Hibernate manual (http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/performance.html), which isn't particularly clear about what is and isn't provide. I guess the idea was perhaps to imply that by being transactional, JBossCache does implicitly provide read/write caching...

Anyway, any clarification much appreciated!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3959324#3959324

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3959324