[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - Re: Windows Explorer automatically pops up displaying C:\Pro

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 21 11:06:17 EDT 2006

Eureka!  The key is the statement that you installed to "C:\Program".  Up to now I assumed that some code was tripping over the space in "Program Files" and causing a wierd Explorer window to show.  Anyway, I installed to c:\program, logged out and back in, and guess what appeared on my screen? Also, there very briefly flashed a dialog box which then very conveniently hid itself behind the Explorer window.  I pulled that dialog box back out front and here is what it says:

anonymous wrote : Title:  File Name Warning
  | Text:  There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which
  | could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it
  | to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename
  | it now?

This makes sense based on how Windows converts long file names into short file names to support older 16-bit programs.

The solution is to rename c:\program to something else (I use c:\apps).  You do not have to unistall and reinstall JBoss, there is no registry information or anything like that that points to the existing directory.  Though, the uninstall script will not work since it still has the c:program directory, but uninstaling JBoss is easy - just delete the directory.

This is why I like trying to solve wierd problems posted on this forum - I almost always learn something new!  Thanks, Marcus, it's been a trip!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3959922#3959922

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3959922