[jboss-user] [JBossWS] - Re: Type Hiererchy

Arno Werr do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 27 15:58:47 EDT 2006

anonymous wrote : Looking at the WSDL generated for this I dont see Dog or Cat show up anywhere. Is that not valid for web services? Do I need to have separate getAllCats and getAllDogs methods that specify the exact return type?

Me neither. Yet  I think it's correct.
Ask yourself for which purpose in Java-to-Java communication you would need such heavy web service implementation as SOAP (standard? marketecture over architecture?). In Java-to-Java there are plenty much lighter alternatives - just look at Spring remoting.

We really need SOAP when we communicate with non-Java client/server - interoperability. And what if that non-Java platform does not support all/some features of OOP including inheritance? So SOAP web service is the lowest and heaviest possible denominator. Use concrete classes instead - exact return types.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3961415#3961415

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3961415