[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: messaging flow control related question

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 29 07:02:33 EDT 2006

Raghu-

Thanks for your test program.

I have been experimenting with it, and here are my findings:

If CONSUMER_SLEEP_TIME and RELAYER_SLEEP_TIME are set to a small value e.g. 1000, then the entire test runs through successfully - this is because the messages are being relayed and consumed at approximately the same rate as they are being sent, so they do not build up in the topic subscriptions.

If CONSUMER_SLEEP_TIME and RELAYER_SLEEP_TIME are set to a large value e.g. 150000, then a great many messages get sent before they start being consumed. Since each message you are sending is about 100K in size, and (on my machine) about 3000 get sent before they start being consumed, this is too much to be stored in RAM at once in my JBoss4.0.4 installation since I am using -Xmx100M.

I therefore configured the paging parameters for the topic so a maximum of 200 messages would be stored in memory at once and the rest paged to storage:

   <mbean code="org.jboss.jms.server.destination.Topic"
         name="jboss.messaging.performance:service=Topic,name=raguTopic"
         xmbean-dd="xmdesc/Topic-xmbean.xml">
         <depends optional-attribute-name="ServerPeer">jboss.messaging:service=ServerPeer
         200
         10
         10

With this config the test also completes successfully - albeit more slowly since it has the added overhead of reading and writing from the database. I am using MySQL 5.

Finally I tried increasing the amount of memory for the server to 1.2GB (-XMx1200M), this should allow all 10000 messages to be stored in memory without having to page to the db.

For this setup I also changed fullSize to 10000, so if more than 10000 messages arrive then we won't get an OutOfMemory error.

Again this test ran through fine.

After the tests have completed I am not seeing any messages or message references in the database, which is correct bahviour.

I can repeat the tests multiple times without seeing any significant change in memory on ther server.

I am using the HEAD codebase, which is what will be in RC4 when it is released in a few days. I have made many changes in compared to RC3 but not sure if they are responsible for seeing the difference in behaviour that you are seeing.

Probably your best bet is to upgrade to RC4 when it comes out and see if you still have your problems.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3961680#3961680

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3961680