[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - Re: Can't connect to global namespace datasource from servle

wmprice do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Jul 29 11:11:15 EDT 2006

The local java namespace is used for ApplicationComponents (ie Servlets, EJB's) residing in the same application server. It is known as the ENC (environment naming context).

anonymous wrote :
  | - If it is local then can servlets on other servers access it?

No.Using a datasource outside of the local container is discouraged. It was put in place solely for TCK compatiblity. From the Wiki:

anonymous wrote :
  | What if it is a clustered environment?

Datasources are non-clusterable. Each datasource is particular to the node on which it resides.

anonymous wrote :
  | - If that tag is present then I can access the DS using java:/jdbc/MySqlDS, not using java:/comp/env/jdbc/MySqlDS.

You could, but this would defeat the purpose of using an resource-ref. A resource-ref is a logical binding of a resource-ref name to an actual JNDI name. You could very well lookup the DataSource directly from JNDI, but if the JNDI name were to change, your code would have to change. The resource-ref shields you 'hard-coding' the JNDI name in your application.

This is the purpose of the java:comp/env namespace. Basically it's a read-only JNDI namespace reserved for application components to store references to J2EE resources.

anonymous wrote :
  | - Are these the only files I need to modify to make the DS available?

Yes.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3961686#3961686

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3961686