[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Can Seam work with no ejb3 but with Hibernate ORM?

pgrillo do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Nov 6 16:53:32 EST 2006

I'd noticed this was possible, and tried to deploy a java beans only version of the booking example on tomcat.

I'm a little confused on the transaction stuff that you allude to that only is supported using ejb session/entity beans.

Seam Documentation states:

anonymous wrote : 9.4. Seam managed transactions
  | Seam completely solves the problem of unwanted LazyInitializationExceptions, while working around the biggest problem in the open session in view pattern. The solution comes in two parts:
  | ?	use an extended persistence context that is scoped to the conversation, instead of to the request
  | ?	use two transactions per request; the first spans the beginning of the update model values phase until the end of the invoke application phase; the second spans the render response phase

and

anonymous wrote : 9.5. Configuring Seam with Hibernate in Java EE

  | Seam JavaBean components do not provide declarative transaction demarcation like session beans do. You could manage your transactions manually using the JTA UserTransaction (you could even implement your own declarative transaction management in a Seam interceptor). But most applications will use Seam managed transactions when using Hibernate with JavaBeans. Follow the instructions above to enable SeamExtendedManagedPersistencePhaseListener.

But it is not clear to me if i am able or "not" able to solve the Lazy Initialization Exceptions and replace the "open session in view" pattern by using Seam "without" ejb.

Can anybody verify, that i can solve the above problem using Seam managed transactions without ejb3?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3983577#3983577

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3983577